Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave).
11 SEP 1979
In joint discussions between the Management and Bharatiya Kamgar Sena Union representatives held during last few months immediately following the wage settlement, both the parties have expressed their firm commitment to increase productivity, to keep our products competitive.
During the review it was found that the productivity increases, as stipulated in the Settlement, have not taken place in large areas of operations although these should have been achieved within three months of the Settlement.
This has become an area of major concern and we have jointly drawn up action plan to identify specific productivity targets and make efforts to achieve them.
It is recognized that the targeted increases in Labour Productivity can mainly come from the collective efforts of all the workmen and the Supervisory staff.
It is agreed to implement the following with immediate effect:
1. Maximum utilization of working time on the machines/ jobs thereby eliminating unproductive time.
2. Full cooperation in ensuring adherence to specified work timings and maintaining discipline.
3. Cooperation in implementing agreed job-classification as provided in the recent Settlement.
4. 4. For areas already covered by productivity indices, efforts at individual level to increase the Productivity indices to the level as per the Settlement.
5. 5. For areas with no Productivity Indices coverage, increase, the Productivity level by 25 points over the December 78 performance level.
6. Holding of structured 3-tiered meetings at
- Shop floor level
- Unit level
- Powai level
on a regular basis, to review and improve productive performance.
The BKS Union has reaffirmed its concern for the need to raise productivity and has 'agreed to extend full cooperation in the matter. This can be achieved only with the positive attitudes, the recognition of the motto 'Productivity or Perish and the whole-hearted acceptance that productivity is the concern of every individual employee. We are convinced that this is the major way to ensure sustained and successful operations, resulting in growth of the company in which all of us have. joint stake.
We are sure, as in the past, all the employees will rise to the occasion, with an all-out effort to achieve higher levels of Productivity and not allow individual problems to interfere with the attainment of the common goals.