Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Wednesday 6 August 1986

HIROSHIMA

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave). 

6 Aug 1986

To:
Dear Friends                       
HIROSHIMA                         
We Remember

At 10  minutes after 10  o'clock in the  morning on  this day, forty-two  years   ago,  an   atom-bomb  fell   on  Hiroshima. 1,25,000   persons  died   immediately.    They  were   lucky. Thousands  of others who  survived suffered  horrible diseases for many years.   Those who are still living  today, will pray for world-peace, at the Hiroshima Memorial.

An atomic explosion is very powerful.   It has the capacity to destroy a whole  city in few seconds.   And today's atom-bombs are  1000 times  more powerful  than  the bomb  which fell  on Hiroshima !

But  the power  of atom  can  also be  used  for peaceful  and productive purposes - such as  for generating electricity in a power station.   How does an  atom-bomb (or  a peaceful atomic explosion) work ?

In simple language,  one atom is hit by  another and breaks-up into smaller  pieces  - say  10 pieces.   Now these  10 pieces fly-out and hit 10 other atoms  and break each of them into 10 pieces.  So  we get  100 (10 X  10) pieces.  These  100 pieces hit another  100- atoms, and break  them up  into 100 X  100 = 10,000  pieces.   This  goes  on  and  on.   It  is  called  a chain-reaction  - •' like a chain-smoker who  lights his  next cigarette  with the   first cigarette  ',  He  needs only  one match-stick - at the beginning of the day.

Right now,  at Powai,  we too  are about to  see (and  feel) a very  powerful chain-reaction.   In response  to  my  call for ideas on  Economy-Drive, suggestions are exploding  all around me !

So far I have received suggestions from :


NAME
1.
M R MADNANI
2.
Y R BOGHANI
PSW - 2125
3.
A J HARDE
PSW - SWS
4.
PSW - 2324
5.
PSW -2174
6.
PSW - 2324


7.
A J OZA
PSW - SDP
8.
PSW - 2326
9.
PSW - 2308
10.
PEW - 3222
11.
PEW - PUR
12.
PDE - CM
13.
J DOKE
SHIPPING
14.
15.

I have  personally acknowledged each  sender and  I am already talking to all the concerned people  whether these suggestions can save  us money  (and how much)  and what  problems  we may face  (if any) in implementation.  There  are so  many that it is not possible to reproduce them  here.  In course of time, I may publish some which are of  common-interest to the whole of Powai .

In the meantime,  I am excitedly  looking forward to feel  the vibrations of thousands of peaceful explosions all around me.

Long live Peace   -   Long live Hiroshima.


H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment