Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 23 December 1985

SURVIVAL-OF-THE-FITTEST

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave).


23 Dec 1985


To:
Dear Friends

Only a  few days back I  wrote to you regarding  the problems being faced by
-      Refrigerator industry
-      Alloy Steel Plant - Durgapur
Thereafter  I came across a  write-up  about ASP  in a  news paper - reproduced below:
It reads
"ASP management  has given an  assurance (to  the Union?) not to declare any worker surplus...."
This I do not understand.!
Due to changing technology/methods or due to lack of orders or due to any reason what-so-ever,  if people become surplus, one has to simply declare them as "surplus"!
The facts cannot be changed! even if you were to hide  your face in the sands like an ostrich! I Facts remain facts!
On  the  other  hand  I  can  understand  very  well  that  a management gives an assurance to such  surplus employees that although they are surplus, they will not be retrenched.
But  if any  company has  to  carry such  "Dead-Wood" on  its shoulders,  it   goes  without  saying  that   the  remaining workforce has to become even more productive than before.
Unless, of  course, that organisation  decides to get  rid of the "Dead-Wood"  as it  seems to be  happening in  the Andhra Pradesh (read following article).
In  this Vikram  Samvat 2042,  it looks  as  if even  in "Ram (Rao)    Rajya",    it    has     become a  matter    of "survival-of-the-fittest"  and  consigning  dead-wood  to the flames!
I  don't  think  it  can  be  any  different  proposition  in "Shiv (Rao) Rajya" !

H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment