Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Friday 28 February 1986

FLOGGING A DYING HORSE

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave). 

28 Feb 1986

To:

Dear Friends

FLOGGING A DYING HORSE

The correct  idiom is  "flogging a dead  horse" but  there is every possiblity that  the horse (Scooters India)  is dead by now.
This is because  the enclosed article about SIL  is almost 18 months old.
And  as of  Dec.  31, 1985,  we have  such  93,282 dying  (or dead?)  horses in  our  country.   These are  known as  "sick units".  What  I do not  know is whether  the above mentioned figure  includes  public-sector (Govt.  owned) sick-units  or not.  Most of  these are sick in fact VERY SICK.  if you wish to know how "sick", here are some  "temperature-readings".
No.
Govt. unit
Loss in last 3 years (Rs. CRORES)
1.
Engineering Projects India Ltd. (epi)
90.0
2.
Hindustan Steelworks Const. Ltd. (HSCL)
67.0
3.
Cycle Corporation of India Ltd. (CCIL)
8.8
4.
Scooters India Ltd. (SIL)
50.0
5.
Tanneries & Footwear Corp. of India Ltd. (TAFCO)
53.0
I  understand   that  the  Govt.   is  planning   to  wind-up (close-down) the  first  3 units  and merge  the  remaining 2 units with some successful public or private sector company.
From the  "Dying Horse" article, we  find that neither  Bajaj nor HMT wants to even touch Scooters India!
And no  wonder I A similar  company in America  would perhaps employ  500 persons whereas Scooters India  has employed 3500 persons'. Reminds me of Bombay Municipality!  if BMC can sack (terminate/retrench)  half  of  its  employees,  productivity would go up FOUR TIMES! (If you  do not believe me, next time stop  and count  the number of  persons  pretending to  dig a hole for a faulty telephone cable !).
And  talking surplus  labour  (?)  HSCL  has  12000!  (See following article)
How long before some of us muster enough courage to ask
"Am I my brother's keeper?"

H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment