Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Tuesday 4 November 1986

HOUSE KEEPING - IS FOE EVERYONE

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave). 

4 Nov 1986

To:
President
BKS Union
LT - Unit


HOUSE KEEPING -  is for everyone


In the quality-month, the first thing we can attempt is to improve the "quality" of our house-keeping.

It is not too technical. It is simple. It can be achieved by everyone-and with very little extra  effort !

If 5000 people throw things (raw materials, components, products scrap, packing materials, banana-skins, Batata-Vada covering, etc etc) all over, even 500 full-time sweepers will not suffice to keep Powai clean !

At home, we put things in proper place and expect our children to do likewise. Then why do we keep. throwing things all over in Powai ? Why can't we stack/keep things neatly -even if it is a neat heap or a pile ?

I think it is high time that "good house keeping" ceases to be a "management-function" ! It should become "every-employee- function". It must become a "people's movement". Only such movements can last - movements which become our second- nature. Rest will come - and go as fads.

I would request you to put these thoughts across to

-     Members of Works Committee.
-      Shop-reps.
and ask them

-      What can you do ?
-      How can you help ?

Let us begin "employee-participation" where it is easiest and success guaranteed!

H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment