Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Sunday 16 March 1980

INVOLVEMENT

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave).

16 Mar 1980

Dear Shop-Supervisor:                      

SUB: INVOLVEMENT

Texas Instruments (TI) is a giant electronics-manufacturing firm in  U.S.A. and employs  41,000 people.   TI manufactures computer components.  Their latest is a computer that 'talks back ' !

(I  think  they  should  immediately  introduce  'Performance Appraisal' for the
wretched THING!)

TI  say, the  secret  of their  success  lies in  INNOVATION. They  innovate  product  designs,   manufacturing  processes, marketing  strategies and  so on.   But where  they  excel in innovating  (by their own admission) is in  INVOLVEMENT - the 'people involvement' in everything they do.

And  the results  are there  for everybody  to see  -  I mean 'hear'! (At  TI  they  have  changed  over  to   'hearing is believing'.).

Enclosed extract  from an  article about  TI, describes their PEOPLE
INVOLVEMENT.

One way of getting people motivated is getting them involved.

Another  way  of getting  them  motivated  is to  say  'HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU'.   To help you do that, I enclose  a list of your colleagues with  their birth-dates.  The list  will also tell you when  one of them completes  15/20/25 years' service with the  Company.  Both  occasions have immense  sentimental value  to an  individual.  If  you remember  these  dates, he will know you  'care' for him.  And who is above  the feeling of 'someone up there like me'?

Wishing you good-luck in your own search for 'good-will'.


H.C.PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment