Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Monday 7 April 1986

THE PAPER TIGER

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave).

7 Apr 1986

To:
Dear Office-Colleague

THE PAPER TIGER

Many years ago,   China's Chairman   Mao-tze-Dong called America, a "Paper Tiger".  By that  he meant  to  tell the Chinese  people  that  there was   nothing  to be  afraid  of America -  and that the  Chinese were strong  enough to  "take care" of the imperialists.

If only Chairman  Mao had got  a chance to read  the enclosed article which  appeared  in  "THE  DAILY" newspaper  sometime back,  he might  have changed  his  mind and  called  India a "paper Tiger"  ! And being a shrewd strategist  that he was, instead of  invading us across  the Himalayas,  he would have simply gifted  1000 plain-paper copiers to the  Government of India and let  the bureaucrats of New Delhi defeat the Indian Nation ! (Apparently they  seem to be succeeding without any help from Mao  ! )

What is happening nearer home - at Powai ?

A few months  back, I was  travelling with Mr. K.R.  Sanghavi who told me the following facts :

When  KRS joined  the company  in  1970, there used to be  4 copies of SCN (Stores Credit Note) - now there are 7 copies !

At  that  time   Design  Dept.  used  to  issue   5  sets  of manufacturing drawings to various departments  - now they are issuing 22 sets !

More  statistically-oriented persons amongst  you may  derive satisfaction (1) from the  following data submitted to  me by Mr. P.R. Kothari, on  the subject of "Paper-explosion"  and I know that  PRK is not alone  in thinking that I  am, perhaps, the worst culprit!

Paper consumption for the last 3 years

DESCRIPTION
UNIT
1982-83
QTY
1983-84 QTY
1984-85 QTY
1. SUNLIT BOND PAPER - A4
Pkt of 100 sheets
9997
11517
15125
2. MAPLITHO-A3 (cut sheets)
"
760
2592
3080
3. MAPLITHO-A4 (cut sheets)
"
8200
13190
23775
VALUE (RS.)

1,51,218
2,20,408
3,65,734
But I make amends by adding, at the bottom of my circulars.
----------------------------------
                 "READ & THINK      
DO NOT FILE
      (FOR PRODUCTIVITY'S SAKE  !)"

But those amongst you who are engineers will  understand when I say,                

"Information is like entropy"

Whenever there  is a process  in which energy gets  converted from one form to another, entropy increases.

This  is  even more  true  of  "Information" !  Information simply   cannot  change   hands   (or  departments)   without increasing '. - most of the time many-fold !!.

I  found this out  in my  own, various  departments, when  we conducted a "Paper-Destruction Drive" in September 1984.

We  coughed-up (and  destroyed) 50  Tons of  obsolete/useless information!
And  my  group  does  not  even  have any manufacturing  or marketing activity !

This  reminds me  of the  Hindu trio  of "Brahma,  Vishnu and Mahesh"  -  the .-Creator, the Preserver and  the  Destroyer. Most companies have an over-abundance  of Brahmas and Vishnus but very few Mahesh -  when it comes  to paper - work.  If we can find  only one Mahesh  in each  of our departments,  I am sure we  may be  able to  shred 200  Tons of  unwanted papers (makes  excellent  packing  material  ! ) within the next  3 months !

And I don't think we should worry  if the Chairman of Siemens was to call us a "paper-cat" !

H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment