Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Friday 5 April 1985

COMMUNICATION 1

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave).

April 5, 1982

To:

Dear Friends

Last  article  dated  15th  February,  brought  an  anonymous admonishing  letter which  I reproduce  below  (translated by me):

"Sir, Your "goal" is only to  "expect" from the workmen, not to find out what  they want and  what they don't  want.  You are  talking-down to  the workmen-for  example, you  have financially enabled  the Supervisors/Officers  to educate their  children.   Their children  should  go  to  better schools and our children should  go to municipal schools. Till such time you  cannot abolish this difference, there is  no use  your publishing  thousands of  such articles. First  improve your  behaviour -  then "expect"  from the workmen.
                                                                                       - A Worker".

From  the  fact  that   our  friend  has  chosen   to  remain anonymous, I get a  feeling that we still have a  long way to go before we have  an atmosphere  of "openness and  trust" at Powai.  On my  part, all  I can say  is that,  the sentiments expressed above  are perfectly  "human" and  could  have been expressed  openly  and  freely without  any  fear.   In  such matters, it  is quite possible  for us  to "disagree"  but as long as there  is a willingness to listen and  a constructive approach, fear. of "disagreement" need not bother us.

As  far as  the.- education expense  reimbursement scheme  is concerned, let me  assure our friend  that some good  news is on the way  for the non-supervisory  employees !   I do hope, he will read  the  following article very carefully  and then come back  (in person, I hope) and tell me  how we can foster the "Spirit of Wa" in our very own L&T'.

No comments:

Post a Comment