Hi Friends,

Even as I launch this today ( my 80th Birthday ), I realize that there is yet so much to say and do. There is just no time to look back, no time to wonder,"Will anyone read these pages?"

With regards,
Hemen Parekh
27 June 2013

Now as I approach my 90th birthday ( 27 June 2023 ) , I invite you to visit my Digital Avatar ( www.hemenparekh.ai ) – and continue chatting with me , even when I am no more here physically

Thursday 1 January 1987

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

Synopsis: Communication For Productivity
Letters written to some 7500 Workers / Managers / Union Leaders, following a period of strike / Go slow / Murders (1979 - 1987), at Mumbai factory of Larsen & Toubro Ltd. This direct / open / honest communication led to a remarkable atmosphere of trust between Workers and Management, which, in turn, increased productivity at 3% per year (ave). 

1 Jan 1987

To:

Quality Control Personnel    

(Group - wise)

DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME

I  enclose  herewith  a  BHEL publication   on  "Quality"  for Nov. 86.

Apparently  BHEL  has  raised  the  status  of  the  quality-function high enough to merit  its own monthly mouth-piece  -an exclusive  journal.  This is  indicative of their attitude and we can learn a  lesson from them.  Isn't L&T large-enough to merit  such  a journal  ?  What  is the  level we  wish  to assign to "Quality" ?

Perhaps, some 100 engineers  and 300/400 workmen are directly engaged  in   "Quality-Control/Inspection/Quality   Assurance/ Reliability" type of work.   They could all immensely  benefit from such a  pamphlet.  And finally Quality  - Message has  to percolate  to  everyone   -  not  only  downwards,  but   also upwards!!

We have to inculcate amongst our employees the attitudes of

-    My job will never-be-less than-perfect.
-    My job shall not get rejected or require rework
-    I will do it "right" the first-time
-    I am proud  of my output and therefore,  I am willing to certify it myself, under my signature !

A pamphlet can help create such positive attitudes.

It can also  help by acting as a  "Cleaning-House" of all the good  work (on  the Quality-front)  being  done in  nooks and corners of L&T's  vast organisation.  We must learn from each other.    We   must   duplicate   the   "Successes"  of   our colleagues.  We must have a synergy !

Suggestion-Scheme  has  registered a  tremendous  improvement since we started the ideascope last year.

I believe  L&T's Material-Management  Function have their  own pamphlet  called   "SOURCE-SEEKER".   They  even  have   their annual conference.

I am fully aware that there is a great diversity amongst our

-    Products
-    Materials
-    Manufacturing Processes
-    Acceptance Criteria        etc. etc.

Case-Study of one group may seem irrelevant to another group.

But,  I  hope,  there can  be  no  diversity  as  far  as  our attitude towards quality  is concerned - our attitude  towards the customer

You  may wish  to  meet  and discuss  the  feasibility  of  an action-plan.

Regards and good-luck for 1987.

H.C. PAREKH

No comments:

Post a Comment